Friday, May 27, 2011

Va-va-varnishing

Riding the car to various project purchasing errands, I spent the morning and early afternoon worried about the varnishing, thinking it won't come out the right shade.  The other day, the foreman showed me some samples and I picked the darker reddish shade over the mustard one.  Then today, I kept seeing these laminated cabinet and closet doors and started getting nervous.  Everybody just seems to use laminates nowadays.  Recalling the reason behind the decision, I was intrigued by using ribbon grain and plain varnishing like the old fashioned way.  

True enough, when I arrived at the site, I wasn't too excited about the shade when it was applied to the large area of the closet so this is what we decided.
We'd let go of the first bedroom's closet and leave the shade as is.  In the master's bedroom we'll make it more natural.  And then when we get to the kitchen, it'll even be more natural and the more expensive penetrating stain will be used.   Don't know how it'll all turn out but it's an experiment anyway and great fun learning minus the worrying bouts which as my husband always says, is useless. 
The structure of the kitchen cabinet is on the way and hopefully, the main frames will be up by Tuesday so the granite counter maker can come in and measure.
I like the yellowish warm light bulbs more than the white daylight ones so we limited the use of the daylight bulbs in the kitchen and service areas.
Half like and don't like this.  Like it for making the best use of the leftover tiles except for the blue ones which had to be added or else there wouldn't be enough for the balcony.  Don't like it that much but oh well got to go beyond these little design disappointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment