Thursday, May 19, 2011

Getting There

Work on the current renovation is still proceeding on track.  Yesterday, it was fortuitous that both the aluminum sliding glass doors and the laminated floor installers came at the same time so they were able to coordinate.  The analok aluminum sliding glass doors have been taken out, brightening up the whole space.  The unit looks better without it that I wish I don't have to put it back. There's this unfinished construction look that I find to be a more compelling structure.   

To save on money and materials, the installer is just recycling the glass and the usable aluminum and replacing the parts that need to be replaced.  

I wanted to use polycarbonate for the kitchen cabinet doors but then it would mean more time and materials.  Another opportunity presented itself through the door to the new laundry-storage area.  There's an existing door (the one that's leaning in the picture) that I could use for that purpose but instead, I'll go with the translucent polycarbonate door so that light can pass through majority of the area.  

I've been mulling over the pinlights because the cheaper ones that I could find in Binondo are not that pretty and the more attractive ones are more expensive.  I told the civil works foreman my dilemma and he gave me a great suggestion.  He said I can use the nicer type of pinlights with the glass cover in the living and dining areas and then for all the other areas, I can use the ordinary ones without the cover.  That meets both aesthetic and economic criteria. 

 I had hoped that I wouldn't deviate too much from the drawings and woudn't make too many changes but it's unavoidable.  Seeing things in 3D and in actual, I spot better design solutions but as long as I catch them early enough then it's okay thus the daily site visits.   I had to add accent tile pieces in the bathrooms and change the closet shelf spacing. My drawings were also not that complete so we just discussed things as they came along.   

No comments:

Post a Comment