Monday, May 23, 2011

Off-Guard


While finishing work is proceeding in this renovation site, I looked at the next potential project site, pictures of which I'll post after I've gotten the plans and costing approved.  Meanwhile, I have to prepare the drawings and computations.

Had to look at another apartment unit that was vacated today to see what work needs to be done.  This was the same apartment where I lived for five years before I went to China so it brought back a lot of memories and emotions from the past.  I had curtains made out of colorful ice candy hanging to filter the sunlight and my collection of art postcards were scotch taped to the bedroom windows like a puzzle collage screen.  The only things left were the scotch tape marks which weren't scraped off in ten years and the hooks where the ice candy hung from were still there, a bit rusty.

I felt a bit sad remembering the neighbor friends I had during the time I stayed in that building.  One dear friend passed away and I only knew about it through entries of people bidding him farewell on his Facebook page.  Two friends moved to other countries while another two transferred to other parts of the city.  I moved to China five years ago and now am back but I haven't really reconnected with a number of people I should just call up, drop by and say hi.  The passage of so much time stops me from doing what I should.  The only person left I knew was the security guard who has been working in the building for ten years and I was happy he recognized me.

Last night, I was talking to my senior citizen friend who seems on the outside so accomplished and successful but in the course of casual conversation, she revealed one dream she had that she wasn't able to fulfill.  It struck me to hear it from a person like her because I thought she had achieved so much already.   Apparently, all of us, no matter the age or status, carry unfulfilled dreams like nagging thoughts creeping up at certain junctures catching us off-guard.  Trips down memory lane are such junctures that can bring forth old dreams that ended up on the wayside and you ask yourself is there still time and strength to pursue them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment