Monday, May 16, 2011

Farm Search

My dad, hubby and I went on a twelve hour car ride last Friday to look at some farms.  My husband and I are interested in going into agri business so we're studying what's out there.  My dad was excited to introduce us to Tatang Nards Balanggao, an agriculturalist from the North who has served as ADB consultant and farm manager to the likes of Congressman Tong Payumo and Gawad Kalinga founder Tony Meloto.  We visited his farm in Pangasinan and then went to Dinalupihan near Subic to check out Sinagtala Farm of Tong Payumo and his partners.

My dad, mom, hubby and I all harbor dreams of living in a farm someday or at least spending much more time in the countryside.  My dad and laogong (husband in Chinese) wouldn't mind living in a bahay kubo but my mom would need better facilities.  But first before all these, we've got to get the business side of the farm down pat and make the land productive and profitable.  We've got to learn from Tatang Nards how he nurtures and markets papaya, red ube, aloe vera, lettuce, strawberries and a host of other fruits and vegetables.  "Never plant something you don't have a market for," Tatang Nards said.  







No comments:

Post a Comment