Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Good and Bad

Lots of good things happening with the Calatagan project that I'm happy with but there are mistakes that should have been averted but were not, so I'd just have to take the bad with the good and the good with the bad.
The electrician didn't follow or remember or understand my instructions about this part of the house where I want the lamp to be coming out from the wall so there shouldn't have been any outlets.  But since the outlet was placed there already, I'd have to make do but this design obviously doesn't work so I'm still finding a way to solve this.  I had a thick piece of metal curved to receive the lamp but it doesn't seem like a good solution either.
The L-shaped headboard is taking form.

The ongoing debacle, dilemma, conundrum with the local contractor has finally been resolved.  Both my foreman and I lost faith in the local contractor who was doing the electrical, plumbing and tiling works of the bathroom.  He was saying that he was capable of accomplishing the tasks but he wasn't.  His people seldom went to work and didn't seem like they were serious about the whole job.  I want to berate myself for having chosen him but I can't because it was again an "innocent mistake" for thinking the best of people.

I made this mistake before when I chose a subcontractor for the spiral staircase in the clinic project and I thought I'd better exercise extra caution when outsourcing jobs.  However, it happened again.  I'm grateful though that we were able to terminate the contract before the tiling and laying of the granite sink began.  Now, we got a daily-wage worker who seems a far, far, far better option and who's also from the area.  Hmmm.  Does that mean it's really hard to trust subcons?

What I wanted to avoid also was the stress of going between my foreman and the subcon who would be saying different things and it would be one person's word against the other.  I have not been able to visit the project site in two weeks so it's stressful having to deal with it by phone, although I am quite sure whom to believe when it comes to quality of work because I've seen the stark difference between the two.
Our own team of workers headed by Foreman Raul had to correct the faulty plumbing left by the nightmare subcontractor.  The water is stronger now.
Two tries with the sandblasted glass sticker: the one on the left is correct and the one on the right was the first try that still has to be repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment