Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Back in the Swing Again

Hooray!  We're back in Calatagan and hopefully we'll finish the mobile beach house in two weeks.  Back in the swing of things again, the carpenters were eager to see the project's completion.  However, I got a bit of a high-blood inducing disappointment over the local contractor.  While we worked on the Bel-Air project for two weeks, I added to the local contractor's scope of work so as not to lose to much time when we get back.  These were tasks that could be done with minimal supervision since I didn't want to shuttle between Manila and Calatagan.  Alas, the contractor said it would be better if they did their job alongside the Manila team which I understood but he could've told me this earlier before the two weeks were up and I was expecting something from their part.  Ah well, we'll see how it goes after this holiday break. 

That panel that's been taken down is undergoing the third correction.  The first two times had problems with the wood sourced from the local hardware store.  The wood was substandard so we decided that the third time we're doing it, we're getting the wood for Manila so this ought to work.
Nady is one of my mom's long-time carpenter who's worked on a lot of projects and is quite fast and skilled.  For a number of years, he stayed back to his province but took the trip to the city this time to help me out as well as earn a better wage for his family.

These were the palo-china furnitures - beds and desk that were made in the wood workshop in Manila and took some delays.  I made a mistake with one shelf/closet design which set back work and then things were going too slowly for comfort so I further simplified the design of the other items, in the end for the better.  Looking forward to installing them soon in the house but first we have to finish the windows and interior walls.

I am extremely blessed to be able combine work with quality time with my son Joshua who just loves the beach . . . and hotdogs.




No comments:

Post a Comment