Monday, June 13, 2011

OMG Heatherwick

TED Talks is one of my ultra-favorite websites and what a wonderful way to start the morning with this inspiring video:

http://www.ted.com/talks/thomas_heatherwick.html

Intrigued, I googled Heatherwick:

http://www.heatherwick.com/

My mom, hubby, brother, son and I made it to the last two days of the Shanghai Expo last year and I so so so much wanted to go in the UK pavilion and witness the seed cathedral from the awesome inside.  The horrific lines made that impossible coupled with the fact that I had no invitation and was lugging a stroller which was lent to us by the Expo for free and which wasn't allowed inside this particular pavilion (duh!).  So I had to make do with a few pictures taken from outside and researching about the structure on the net.

See how much younger and rounder Joshua is in this picture:
If I can't see the interior of a Heatherwick in China, elsewhere in the world, I wish I can see one of his creations some day.  That is definitely in my bucket list.
There was a Shakespearean play going on in the big public area around the pavilion.  This generously sized space looked like a giant piece of crumpled paper which unfolded itself to reveal the little treasure of a spiky, organic, quirky, inventive building.

The wonderfully crazy wild wacky architect also created this.  I believe I am in love with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment