Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Design Mistakes

Big rains came last week and tested our sliding glass window and laminated floors and they bombed!   Water seeped in and the result were unsightly bubbles on the floor.  I should have had Sahara waterproofing mixed with the concrete.  I have to get this problem fixed before the next strong rains come or else put a quick fixer upper "trapal" as shield for the balcony opening. 

Yucky bubbles. Gotta re-order some planks.

 Meanwhile, on the other side of town, progress continues and the walls around the spiral staircase have been put in place.  However, I made a design booboo.

I wanted the smoked glass to be positioned so the light followed you as you went up the spiral but I made the mistake of designing the openings using the old staircase configuration which had six steps more than the current one so you ended up with . . . .  

. . . .the light at your feet instead.

At least the intention worked in the third set of openings but still, I should wait before making a harsh condemnation of the mistake. 

Just last week I was ranting about the client committing a design sin of making the steps higher than what it should be so it becomes uncomfortable for the user.  Now, I don't know which one is worse -- committing your own design error or just accepting somebody else's.  The answer is the mistake at the moment of realization.  The one that currently makes you slap your forehead and go Homer Simpson D'oh!  But after time passes, it fades into the background and it doesn't sting as much as that point of discovery.  

No comments:

Post a Comment