Monday, July 4, 2011

Thanks Mia

I left the Architecture world ten years ago and so when my friend Mia invited me to critique her students work at the new School of Design and Art at the De La Salle University College of St. Benilde, I tossed and turned and hoped I could give a valid excuse to say "no" because what the heck am I going to contribute to her class when I feel like I'm just starting in the field over again from scratch, from zero, from nothing.  Mia and I worked in the same architecture firm a long time ago, but while Mia went on to open her own firm and has been practicing architecture ever since graduation, I chucked architecture out the window and switched (non-) careers two times since then.  

However, I was reading this book that got me convinced I have to say "yes" because it's an invitation from a dear friend.  

The book proved to be right because the experience was rewarding in many aspects.  First, I was able to see and an admire and incredible building worthy of a school nurturing artists and designers.  The views over Manila are fantastic and natural ventilation works in the corridors.  Second, I was able to reconnect with another dear friend who also serves in the school and who was my super inspiring mentor when I was doing my architecture thesis.  Third, I was able to help out Mia in her class and fourth, it was a lot of fun giving constructive comments to the students, feeling a lot like Simon Cowell but with the kindness of Paula Abdul.  It was great to see what the future of architecture may look like and to re-live memories back when I was a student and the world ahead was wide wide open and architecture was just the most awesome thing in it.






Here's Arch. Mia Quimpo before her classroom.   The other advantage of this school is that they don't pack the classes and Mia only had 18 students.  Upon entering her classroom, I felt like one of those fictional movie characters frozen in cryogenic state for eons who suddenly finds herself jolted awake in a different era.  Each student had a laptop and did all their drawings, plans and perspectives in the computer while I belonged to that age when we drew with paper, pencil and the drafting board wasn't just a table for sleek silver Macs.   Simply mind-blowing how the world marches forward.

Here's a video of the school building: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVy08CiObuM

No comments:

Post a Comment