Monday, July 18, 2011

Exciting Start

My next project is something I'm very, very excited about and something I've been dreaming of designing and constructing: a small compact home atop an old truck chassis. My Mom originally wanted a mobile home and we took a look at one imported model that cost astronomically high for a non-tropical friendly design.  These camper type homes would be good for America or other cool places but for the tropics, something that allows more natural air in is more appropriate.  So I offered to build my Mom this beach room with toilet for about a third (hopefully) of the ready-made trailer home's price.  

My Mom had an old truck that didn't run anymore so it was taken apart and we're using the chassis as the base for the house.  We're not even sure if the wheels can run and if we can pull it to the beach because it has to traverse some bumpy, curvy and steep roads.  But we'll try and find a way.   

The site would be just behind this clump of trees on the grassy area right after the beach.  The view of the house would be the infinite sea. 


More than ten years ago, my Mom and I designed and built a house on a hill just a few minutes walk from the beach.  It's made of molave and other hardwoods my Mom has been collecting and was constructed by my Mom's craftsmen carpenters.  It was the time when I was on my last years studying architecture and I had a blast designing the details.  

Now, my Mom doesn't want to climb all the way up the hill as she prefers to stay by the beach, thus the need for a mini home for her there but this little house on the hill is quite an inspiration on graceful weathering of materials and sensitivity to the site.  









This is the bathroom detail my Mom was not too pleased about because she thought it exposed the person inside.  So for this next project, I'll remember to keep having fun designing the details while bearing in mind, it has to be pleasant and convenient to use for my Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment