Friday, November 16, 2012

Zee Bucket List


Santa Claus and our parents are often our earliest wish granters till we grow up to be our own realizer-implementer and eventually, we in turn, become wish granters to our children and parents.   It’s still an unfulfilled wish of mine to be able to give my mom and dad something substantial in their hope list but they keep trumping me at this game.  My mom has made it possible for my husband, sons and I to live in a dream home while my dad recently surprised me with a meal at the Rainmaker’s Lounge.

I’ve been following food bloggers and reviews for two years, making mental notes of restaurants to visit and casually mentioned the Rainmaker’s Lounge to my dad who got us not only an invitation from the man behind The Firm but the much-lauded lawyer joined us at the exclusive table together with his partners.   



The unforgettable meal of wagyu burger with foie gras prompted me to finally write my long-overdue bucket list. 

  1. climb the Tepuis in South America
  2. ski in Switzerland and in Canada
  3. visit Pakistan and Afghanistan
  4. bungee jump from across Victoria Falls
  5. visit friends in different countries
  6. learn from excellent mentors
  7. design things I’m happy with
  8. develop a farm
  9. have a successful business that employs a lot of people
  10. help people become successful
  11. pioneer something environmental
  12. be a successful investor
  13. choose restaurants and not look at the price column
  14. have an exhibit
  15. publish a children’s book
  16. improve my Chinese
  17. clean up the Pasig River together with friends who carry the same dream
  18. do something for the Philippines
  19. do volunteer work in Africa
  20. attend a TED talk
  21. speak at a TED talk
  22. go on a food trip to Japan
  23. see my favorite architectural works
  24. build a tree house

I’ve made lists of dreams and goals before and reviewing them, it strikes me that details move in and out as desires shift, so I opted to keep certain items ambiguous and open.   

There are some “stunts” that I have done in the past that have a bucket list-like quality such as travel to Tibet and Mongolia on my own, hitch a ride, pose nude for an artist, hop on a bus to nowhere, do something absurdly stupid for love – and I guess the purpose of these daring-do list is to continuously resurrect in us the courage to do what it is we want to do even if it seems impossible, even if it leads to falling on our faces.  Sometimes, courage hides and we have to coax it out of dark.    
Roraima Tepui. Parque Nacional Canaima, Venezuela

No comments:

Post a Comment