Monday, May 14, 2012

One Day With Sein Yat

Sein Yat was my architecture classmate from Malaysia who, upon finding out I was in Singapore for a short spell, got a ride from her sister to visit us.  Many years ago in the university, I've always admired Sein Yat's drawing style and design concepts.  It's amazing how just a few hours with him impacted my son Joshua, awakening in him an excitement about sketching.  

Usually, Joshua prefers using black and brown when he draws and colors.  I've been trying to get him to use other colors but he is drawn towards the darker hues.  Sein Yat let him draw and then filled in the forms with a crane, a backhoe and a snake here and there.  This set Joshua on to a path of obsessing about drawing together and he became more willing to use other shades.   

The lazy mom that I am, I often used to just hand him the sketch pad and markers, stay with him for a while and then leave to do something else.  It's the point of interaction in these creative endeavors which make it more meaningful for the child and this I realized through Sein Yat who never lost his child-like sense of wonder.  Now, hubby and I pitch in our sketches as requested by our Boss Joshua but then the little guy sometimes wants to drag us out of bed to draw together close to midnight.  

We've got Sein Yat to thank for that!








No comments:

Post a Comment