Monday, May 20, 2013

Long List to Short List

Take a look at this long list of business ideas that I’ve generated out of brainstorming creativity mixed with desperation for income generating schemes: 


  1. bangus fishpond
  2. raising goats
  3. giant bamboo
  4. organic health product distribution
  5. architectural and interior design
  6. interior fit-out
  7. growing landscaping plants
  8. growing hardwood trees for lumber
  9. raising cows
  10. contract growing
  11. mangoes sharing scheme
  12. trading with China
  13. carinderia / Jolli Jeep in the Fort
  14. prawn farm
  15. selling drugs
Number 15 is just there to test if you’re awake and reading.


After being helped and whipped into shape by my financial planners in Manila and my business coach based in Paris (Naks! Nagkataon lang po nahanap niya ang pag-ibig dun), after banging my head against the wall of lack of capital, I decided to narrow it down to two.  Yes, it is possible to control an all-over-the-place, wandering, ADHD-like, hyperactive mind – because when you hit the bottomline, there’s nowhere else to go.

Ironically they are the same two enterprises that I presented in an entrepreneurship seminar more than two years ago.  The participants were asked to come up with a power point of their business proposition which would then be critiqued by the mentors.  After my presentation, their advice for me was to focus on one out of the two proposals because from the sound of my voice I seemed more passionate about it.  I did follow their recommendation and had a year of realizing projects.  Then cancer came, treatment, the second baby, yada, yada, yada. 

I’m back where I started a bit wiser.  I decided to revive my – drum roll please – architectural design practice.  It’s like going back to the arms of my old boyfriend, the one I left repeatedly for other men.  It feels good to be home but scary at the same time because it’s the third reboot, restart, revival, rekindling.  Will it last?  What if it fails again?  I’m too old and I don’t know what I’m doing.  Sounds familiar.  Thing is, I can’t be afraid because I’ve got faith and friends backing me up.

Out of the many farm ventures, I’ll just focus on the fishponds because that’s where I’ve put money down already but I have to control the costs.  Other projects I would want to pursue, I’d have to present to a certain capitalist who may want to fund it.   If there’s funding great; if not, oh well, just shelve it for the future when I have the moolah myself.  I did buy two goats so that’s one more sideline above the allowable limit but I’m excusing myself because of the minimal cost.  Anything higher than the price of two goats, I’d have to handcuff myself to the bedpost.   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment