Saturday, February 18, 2012

Randomly: William and Ashley

I was waiting for my turn at the clinic of Dr. Mow and there was the usual stack of Newsweek.  Underneath were two copies of this book which I flipped through and couldn't help but want to share it with everyone.  If I can get it into the hands of my brothers, Carlo, Bobby and RM, cousin Juggie plus a list of other people, I'd be very excited-happy-ecstatic for them to read Dr. William Tan's raw-inspiring true tale.
William contracted polio when he was two years old but this was not a deterrent at all to pursuing his dreams of becoming a doctor and marathon "runner." He was a Harvard Fullbright and Oxford Raffles Scholar and trained at the Mayo Clinic.  He took a year off from his medical practice as a neurosurgeon and through seven continents, raced in his wheelchair through ten marathons in the Antarctica, Argentina, Egypt, Thailand, South Africa, Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and USA.  Makes you think anything you're going through now should be easy.  Makes you think any dream you can conjure can be realized.


I don't know how it ended up in my hand but I must have accidentally, unconsciously taken the TIME magazine also from the doctor's office so another random inspirational discovery landed on my lap.  Ashley Sutton's bar in Bangkok was featured and it was amazing how his artistic inclinations expressed themselves in his life story and were the basis for various successful businesses.
He was an iron-ore miner working in what we can only imagine as a bleak, dreary environment.  Letting his imagination run cannonball loose, he created a world of faeries in his mind that led to sketches and a series of beautifully crafted books that appealed to both children and adults.
He started sculpting metal faeries based on his imagined creatures and they sold the world over through shops and the internet.  He opened up a faerie-world-themed bar in Bangkok where he now lives while continuing to operate the entrepreneurial fruits of his pure creations.

Someday, I wish to discover something like this that I can do, have fun and spread around in an enterprise and I wonder, William and Ashley, when that day will come.

1 comment:

  1. Jo,
    but I have always thought that you have been doing many things-fruits of your passion--that are worth spreading around...
    but yeah, I hear you...same thoughts...
    just keep at it :-)

    Jo (ginge)

    ReplyDelete