Saturday, August 13, 2011

Overbudget & Underestimated

 Building in a tiny town in Batangas brings a lot of challenges especially to the uninitiated.  I think I made some mistakes because I didn't know where to get the good materials at a good price and most importantly, that could be delivered to the site at a reasonable rate.  But it's all part of the learning process and mainly why I took on this project so that I can absorb as much as I can about construction by actually diving into it head on.  

Every time I went to Calatagan, I passed by Tagaytay and I kept seeing these wood furniture shops along the road.  I finally mustered the time to  go through these shops and found great bargains for second hand lumber, some of which are good quality hard wood better than the new ones ordinarily sold in hardware stores. 

 I'm officially over the budget and I've again grossly underestimated a project.  The operational costs of bringing workers from Manila is weighing in heavily.  My mom also asked me to make the bathroom bigger and it is frustratingly out of proportion with the house and the change costs more of course.  But I have to make the most out of the situation and have figured out a way to make the bathroom roof less massive.  We're trying to re-adjust the height so it doesn't overpower the main bedroom.  However, the problem is the water tank that needs to fit in the roof.  When I go back there this coming Monday, we'll find out if the re-adjustment works.




So instead of panicking and worrying about the budget, I should relax and breathe in the beauty at the beach -- these starfish engraved shells and my wonderful, wonderful gift of joy, Joshua.

No comments:

Post a Comment