Friday, April 6, 2012

So Taken Care Of

Dear Mommy and Papa,

You won't believe all that we did in Singapore today!   Mom, when you surprised me with the wheelchair before you left for Manila, I thought we would hardly need to use it because I can walk fine except for certain distances.  But then we tried it out today on the subway and went to so many places, amazed at how handicapped-friendly the city really is with glass elevators, road ramps and super polite Singaporeans ready to help and give way to people in wheelchairs.  

Here's a picture of the three of us reflected on the ceiling of the subway station:  

The walk from the apartment to the subway was something I couldn't have done so thanks a lot, Mom for the wheelchair!  It was threatening to rain when we left home and we were lucky to reach the covered walkway right before the station.  There was a big polytechnic university with it's edges lined by a landscaped fishpond which Joshua thoroughly enjoys chasing tiny butterflies and ogling the koi.  Pa, you will really love the way Jason takes care of Joshua and me, how he patiently pushes the wheelchair through so many places with the additional weight of new purchases.

I wanted to go to the Bras Basah Complex where there are a number of used bookstores and we ended up in Raffles City Mall and then proceeded leisurely through the Raffles Hotel which took us to another era and out into the arms of the Bras Brasah where there are bargain art shops and my dream of dreams: used books galore.  My loot for Joshua totaled S$18.40 for six books including one from our favorite children's author, Berkeley Breathed.  The National Library was just next door and it's an amazingly beautiful modern building but was closed for the holiday.  Still, we stopped by to relax at the open plaza in the middle where we sat by a group of people singing complete with their guitars.





Mom, all the shampoo, soap, toilet paper and other things you got from the hotel room are proving to be quite handy indeed.  The cloth table napkin that I got from the breakfast buffet to carry back muffins and yogurt is now being used as our kitchen "basahan."

Tonight, Jason is preparing hotpot for us and we're using the electric plate I brought from Manila. 

Love,

Your Doter



Loot from the used books store:
You've just got to LOVE Berkeley Breathed for children!
This is such a cool retro illustration:


2 comments:

  1. jo! wow used book heaven, I didn't know about this place..and I didn't know Berkeley Breathed either. so thanks! nice campus atmosphere :-)
    don't you just get a good feeling when the sea of people parts when you approach in your wheelchair? and people are so kind, and sympathetic...
    I can't believe joshua is just two and a half...his poses look more like a three year old, especially sitting on your lap. it looks sweet. looking forward to more pics.
    hugs,
    ginge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nita, maiyak iyak ako while reading this. Hay...it's wonderful how God is enabling you to recognize and focus on the immense blessings He has given you, inspite of the complexity of your situation. Jason is, among many, indeed a blessing, and I'm glad you're able to see it. I really miss you, nIta!!! San a makapag usap tayo soon. Always, always praying for you all, and my pamangkin.. Giving you a tight hug. I love you.

    ReplyDelete