Friday, April 1, 2011

Junk Scrounge

Today, I realized I made several mistakes in choosing from piles of reusable junk.  First, the sink I chose was a wall-mounted one instead of counter-mounted when I already made provisions for a marble counter.  Second, when choosing the bathroom fixtures, I just lazily delegated somebody else to do it for me so it turned out there were missing parts.  I had to go back to get the right sink and other missing pieces.    The lessons: 1) Don't be lazy to go through junk; 2) Know what you're getting and the complete components.   It's okay to make these mistakes now since these are the early days in the game but later on, hopefully they will be minimized. 

When you go to the big stores of construction materials and see the price of these bathroom fixtures, it makes you want to run and get them elsewhere because of the steep price for such little objects.  For a low-budget renovation, the cost of brand new fixtures would just eat up too much of the pie.    If I didn't have my Mom's storehouse of discarded treasures, where would I go?  I'd have to discover alternative sources. 


No comments:

Post a Comment